With its towering stone arches and stained glass windows, some of which date back to the 15th Century, Darrington's Parish Church is steeped in history, from the Norman conquest to the Civil War and beyond.
Two effigies lying in the church are possibly Sir Warin de Scargill, who died in 1326, and his wife Clara of Stapleton. Sir Warin was a rich landowner, with a family castle in the hamlet of Scargill, west of Doncaster.
He married into the Stapleton family, nobles from near Darrington, and is thought to have ordered the construction of a church chapel in the 1300's.
Go into the church and you are surrounded by some aspect of history or architecture:
the housing for a sanctus bell, rung during mass in Pre-Reformation times.
four ancient chancel seats (stalls) have misericords on the undersides. These ornate brackets enable people to rest while standing.
A 1582 door panel dotted with mysterious holes.
Following Henry VIII's Chancellor Thomas Cromwell's orders in the 1500's, Darrington kept a record of births, marriages and deaths. Parish registers date from 1567 and are now stored in the Register of Deeds Office in Wakefield.