The Hall was of course the most important house in the village.  It was then (in the 1920's) much larger, extending much more to the east.  The owner of the Darrington estate did not live there except for a few years from 1927, having a much larger house at Estcourt in Gloucester. Before then it was let.  During the First War it was run as a Red Cross Hospital for wounded soldiers by the local gentry.
It was reopened as a hospital for incurables by Lady Kathleen Pilkington of Chevet Park Wakefield, until 1927.
In 1923 it was visited by the Princess Royal.