The NFS and the Rescue Squad (composed of Pontefract and Castleford men) worked like Trojans all night, and were helped by police, soldiers, civilians, Air Raid Wardens and Special Constables.

Other Civil Defence Services on duty were the messenger dispatch riders the Ambulance and the Mortuary Service.  Soldiers were able to remove some of the armaments and ammunition from the wrecked aeroplane before the flames beat them back, but for hours machine gun bullets continued to explode and at least one fireman received a slight leg injury from a bullet.
          The firemen were engaged until 11.00am in the hazardous work of removing guns and ammunition from the wreck.  A County Council Mobile Canteen arrived on the scene at about 5.30 am  and provided much needed refreshments for all the Civil Defence, Military and civilian workers until noon.  The NFS canteen was also in attendance.  Divisional Officer Thomas was in charge of the NFS and in direct charge of the ARP Services were Alderman G. Wright J.P., and Mr Firth, the respective sub controller of the Pontefract and Goole  joint ARP areas,  assisted by Mr Cooksey (Training Officer) in the absence of Inspector T. Downhill.
          Everyone attracted to the spot gave ready and generous help but some of those who had to leavetheir homes were grateful to Special Constable Fisher of Darrington who was one of the first to arrive, his daughter , a hospital nurse, and to Mr and Mrs Singleton who provided refreshments and temporary accommodation.
          It is interesting to note that the old chapel is mentioned several times in J.S. Fletcher's novels and an etching of it, with some of the homes destroyed  are contained in a book of Darrington by him.
          The inquest on the four bodies of the civilians was opened by the Pontefract District Coroner, Mr W. Bentley, at the Courthouse, Pontefract on Tuesday, when evidence of identification was given by William Fisher of Toll Hill, Townville, the son-in-law of Mr and Mrs Dean.  He identified the bodies of Harry, William and Ellen Dean, but said he was unable to recognise the fourth.
          Evidence was also given by Herbert Fisher, a Special Constable of Wood Yard, Darrington, who saw the bodies taken out of the ruins and by Gwyneth Alma Dean.  The latter said she went to bed at about 10.30 pm on Saturday, with her sisters Mabel and Nona, leaving her mother and sister Ellen downstairs.  She heard her father and brother enter the house half an hour later.
          Dr W.T.Hessel spoke of seeing the four bodies on Tuesday morning and said he was of the opinion that in each case death was due to severe burns and the charring of the tissues.  Though he found no injuries, it was not possible to say whether the victims were injured before they were burnt.  One body was that of a male with both feet and the lower parts of the legs missing; a second was of a male and was burnt generally, most severely in the upper part; a third one was of a female severely charred and with both legs missing from the middle of the thigh and a fourth he judged to be that of an elderly female but it was charred beyond recognition.
          Before adjourning the inquiry until next Tuesday, the Coroner, on behalf of himself and the public, expressed deep sympathy with the